Sweet Potato Curry
This vegan sweet potato curry with spinach and creamy coconut milk is flavorful and delicious. The recipe can be easily made in an Instant Pot or cooked on the stovetop. It's a wonderful comfort meal for dinner which is also great for meal prep.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 pound (450 g) sweet potatoes (about 2 medium) peeled and chopped into 3 cm pieces
- 2 cups (60 g) fresh spinach
- 1/2 tbsp oil or water (if oil-free)
- 1 medium (100 g) onion chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 2- inch (5 cm) fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt or less/more to taste
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes use less if you don't like it too spicy
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or less/more to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/3 cup (320 ml) coconut milk canned
- 1 cup (250 g) passata (tomato sauce)
- One 15 oz can of chickpeas rinsed and drained (optional)
- Fresh herbs to garnish e.g. parsley, cilantro
Check the recipe notes for the Instant Pot instructions and to watch the video!
If you want to serve this sweet potato curry with rice, cook the rice first as per the instructions on the package.
Heat oil in a pot over medium heat and add the onion. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
Stir in garlic and fresh ginger and sauté for a further 1 minute. Add all spices and stir again.
Next, add the passata, the sweet potato chunks, and the coconut milk.
Give it another stir, and bring to a boil. Let simmer on low heat for about 10-15 minutes or until the sweet potato chunks are fork tender and the curry thickened. Optional: You can now add cooked chickpeas for additional protein.
Finally, stir in the spinach and let simmer until wilted.
Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/pepper/red pepper flakes, etc. to taste.
Serve over rice of choice or with naan bread. Enjoy warm!
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Add the oil to the Instant Pot and press the "SAUTE" button.
- Add the onion and sauté for about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and fresh ginger and sauté for a further 1 minute. Add all spices and stir again.
- Next, add the passata, the sweet potato chunks, and the coconut milk.
- Close and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on "MANUAL" for 2 minutes. Once the time is up, quick release.
- Carefully open the lid. Optional: You can now add cooked chickpeas for additional protein.
- Stir in the spinach and let simmer until wilted.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/pepper/red pepper flakes, etc. to taste.
- Serve with rice or naan and garnish with fresh herbs (cilantro or parsley for example). Enjoy!
- Recipe serves 4. Nutrition facts are for one serving (without rice and chickpeas).
Sweet Potato Curry
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 4.8g | Fat: 16g | Fiber: 5.4g | Sugar: 11.6g