Homemade tortilla bowls
These homemade tortilla bowls (taco cups) are easy to make and great for lunch, dinner or as a party snack! The recipe is vegan, gluten-free and yummy!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 6 tortillas (regular or gluten-free) about 15 cm in diameter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked lentils (*see recipe notes)
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (color of your choice)
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- Spice mixture: 2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp brown sugar, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup plant-based milk or cream
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- Vegan cheese sauce or cheese of choice (to taste)
Put tortillas in heat-resistant bowls and bake them in the oven at 390° Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes until they are lightly browned.
The taco cups will firm up after they cooled down.
In the meantime, chop the vegetables. Heat oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry for about 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and bell pepper and fry over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.
Add all the other ingredients (except cheese sauce) and fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
Put the filling into the taco cups, add vegan cheese sauce and fresh herbs (optional) on top. You can reheat the taco cups in the oven. Enjoy!
- You can also use cooked beans instead of lentils.